Today we hosted the 18th annual Quick- Think-A-Thon (QTAT) private school tournament sponsored by the Exchange Club of Savannah! Harrison Loucks represented SCPS well! Second grade students were treated to a demonstration by firefighter Ellis and Mike Chila emceed the event.
All Second Graders have been learning valuable safety information by playing the "Quick Think" game in class. Each child has been given the opportunity to answer what they think the "foozer,"our safety guide, would say in certain situations.
Topics include fire safety, gun safety, stranger awareness, weather safety, and overall safety awareness information.
Some key concepts that the children should be familiar with are:
1. Stay low and go when there is smoke.
2. Stop, Drop, and Roll if you or your clothes catch on fire.
3. Once you are out of a burning house/ building, stay out!
4. Practice a fire drill at home! Have a meeting place.
5. Guns are not toys!
6. If you come in counter with a gun: Stop, don't touch, leave the area, and tell an adult!
7. Trust your feelings. If a situation or someone doesn't seem just right, trust your feelings!
8. Know the emergency number- 911!
9. Don't go with strangers. Create a family password to know it is safe to go with someone!
10. Don't take dares!
11. Report bullying to a teacher or adult.
12. Stay calm and don't panic!
13. If you get lost, go to the nearest sales clerk to help!
I encourage you to talk with your child(ren) about how they should react in certain situations. The more prepared they are on how to react, the better they will be able to handle the situation! Prayerfully our students will not need most of this information.